A Chronology of Plaxtol, once part of the Parish, Manor & Hundred of Wrotham
1290 William le Hore built the manor house of Sore, now called Old Soar.
1647 The 3 boroughs of Hale, Roughway and Winfield became a separate parish called Plaxtol. It had previously been part of Wrotham Parish.
1649 Plaxtol Church was built during Cromwell's Protectorate. It is the only church in Kent built during the interregnum and therefore has no saint's name.
1660 Restoration of the monarch, Charles II. Plaxtol again became part of the Parish of Wrotham.
1662 Sir Harry Vane of Fairlawne was beheaded for continuing to adhere to his Cromwellian Commonwealth principles, despite the fact that Charles II had become King.
circa1790 John Golding propagated from a hop growing on his land a plant "of extraordinary quality and productiveness" which later became known as "The Golding Hop".
1807 A papermaking machine was installed at Roughway Mill, where fine water marked paper was made for £5 bank notes and for British and colonial postage stamps, or at Hampton Mill.
1844 First Sub Postmaster appointed at Plaxtol.
1845 Plaxtol became a separate ecclesiastical parish.
1856 Roman cemetery found at Ducks Farm.
1857 Statuette of Roman goddess, Minerva Victrix, found at Allen's Farm. Minerva Victrix
1871 Edward Cazalet bought the Fairlawne estate. It remained in the family for the next 100 years.
1880 The paper for National Savings Certificates was made at Roughway Mill.
1902 The Papermakers Arms was built by Leney's brewery.
1930 High quality papermaking ended at Roughway Mill.
1956 Iron Age stone semi-circle found near the Street.
1962 The present Plaxtol school was built.
1968 The Bourne River broke its banks.
1986 Digging began for the archaeological excavation of the Roman Villa at Sedgebrook, led by Kent Archaeological Society.
1987 The Great Storm or Hurricane destroyed many ancient trees in Plaxtol.
1989 The final hops were picked at Roughway Farm, so bringing to an end four centuries of hop farming in Plaxtol.